Open Call for Berlin-based Performers
Paid Opportunity – Apply by September 12, 2022
About the PROJECT:
Im/mediations: 9x9x9 is a durational performance/installation involving nine performers, each captured using a nine-camera surveillance system, and rematerialized via projection mapping onto sculptural surfaces. Over the course of nine hours, close-up images and biodata from performers will be mixed and reimagined to explore tension within hybrid and collective bodies.
Teoma Naccarato and John MacCallum have been collaborating since they met in 2013. Their collective work draws on their backgrounds in music composition, choreography, computer science, and creative writing, as well as their deep interest in performance art and philosophy. Check out recent projects at: https://iii-iii-iii.org
- We are seeking nine Berlin-based performers for a series of video portraits.
- As a performer, you must excel at being still, at listening without anticipation, at seeing while allowing yourself to be seen.
- You will be asked to stand in place for 90-minutes with nine cameras positioned in close proximity to your face. There will be a minimalist sound score to guide your breathing and actions. Your image will be recorded and live-streamed, and later edited in combination with portraits of the other performers.
- Experience in contemporary dance, somatics, and durational performance are of particular relevance, however performers from all training backgrounds are invited to apply. If this work appeals to you, we want to hear from you!
About the SCHEDULE:
We will work with each performer for a total of 15 hours, spread over the course of a single week. All sessions will take place in our artist studio in Alt Köpenick (Lindenstraße 31, 12555 Berlin). When you fill out the online form, please indicate your availability during the following weeks:
- WEEK 1 (3 performers): Sunday October 30 – Thursday November 3
- WEEK 2 (3 performers): Sunday November 6 – Thursday November 10
- WEEK 3 (3 performers): Sunday November 13 – Thursday November 17
About the MONEY:
The hourly pay for each performer is 50€ per hour x 15 hours = 750€ total. This includes VAT and all fees.
About the SELECTION PROCESS:
- EXPRESSION OF INTEREST: Due Monday September 12
Please fill out this google form online to indicate your availability during the project period, and for the audition and interview online: https://forms.gle/ZHfdcUu6QyPUKUNB6
- VIDEO AUDITION: On Thursday September 15, 2022
As an initial step, we ask you to perform a 10-minute choreographic score called IDLE. View the score here: https://immediations.com/idle/score/
- VIDEO INTERVIEWS: On Friday September 16, 2022
The following day, we will invite you for a 15 minute followup interview to discuss your experience and interest in the project.
If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com
Supported by Fonds Darstellende Künste with funds from the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media.