Open Call for Berlin-based Director of Photography
Paid Opportunity – Apply by September 12, 2022
About the PROJECT:
Im/mediations: 9x9x9 is a durational performance/installation involving nine performers, each captured using a nine-camera surveillance system, and rematerialized via projection mapping onto sculptural surfaces. Over the course of nine hours, close-up images and biodata from performers will be mixed and reimagined to explore tension within hybrid and collective bodies.
Teoma Naccarato and John MacCallum have been collaborating since they met in 2013. Their collective work draws on their backgrounds in music composition, choreography, computer science, and creative writing, as well as their deep interest in performance art and philosophy. Check out recent projects at: https://iii-iii-iii.org
- We seek a Director of Photography to collaborate on the development of a series of experimental video portraits for livestream performance, as well as a subsequent video installation.
- The DoP will collaborate to design the 9-camera closeup video installation surrounding the face of each performer from multiple angles.
- The lighting and image settings of the ELP webcams is a particular challenge, so expertise in creative approaches to lighting for video is essential.
- Additional assets include: experience with closeup and macro imagery, abstract portraiture, high channel count video, livestream performance, and durational performance.
About the SCHEDULE:
We will collaborate part-time during the periods listed below. All sessions will take place in our artist studio in Alt Köpenick (Lindenstraße 31, 12555 Berlin).
There is some flexibility for the dates of the initial and final prototyping stages, but less during the filming of the portraits, since this involves many performers. When you fill out the online form, please indicate your availability during the following weeks:
- Monday October 3 – Saturday October 8 | Prototype of 9-camera installation
- Sunday October 30 – Thursday November 3 | Film & Livestream Portraits 1-3
- Sunday November 6 – Thursday November 10 | Film & Livestream Portraits 4-6
- Sunday November 13 – Thursday November 17 | Film & Livestream Portraits 7-9
- Monday November 28 – Friday December 11 | Prototype video installation with footage from 9 portraits
About the MONEY:
Our grant allows us to offer a fixed fee of 5000€ total, for 2 months of collaboration according to KSK rates. This includes VAT and all fees.
About the SELECTION PROCESS:
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST: Due Monday September 12
Please fill out the google form to let us know what interests you about the project, and provide some links to online materials. The form also requests your availability during the project periods, and for an interview on September 16.
If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com
Supported by Fonds Darstellende Künste with funds from the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media.